Sunday, May 11, 2014

For any of you out there that are interested in doing the Czech Republic Study Abroad Program through NSA, you may be wondering what it's really like out here. Here's a Q&A covering most of those bases:
PACKING AND TRAVELING:
Specifically, what kind of linens did you need to bring? 
None. The dorms at Palacky University provide sheets, a duvet, and a pillow. You'll be super comfy and cozy in your new home!
What are you glad you packed from home? 
Clothes for layering! Sometimes the weather is gorgeous and a t-shirt will do, but other days its cold and rainy or somewhere in between. Layers worked really well for me because I could mix and match and that also helped me to not get tired of wearing the same things all the time.
What do you wish you had left at home? 
If anything, I probably could have gotten by with fewer clothes, but it's better to be prepared for different types of weather than be uncomfortable once you get here.
Do you have any travel tips to pass on (planning advice, safety considerations, guidebooks, train vs bus, etc)? 
Try to book trips a couple of weeks out and don't be afraid to fly on some of the cheaper airlines- they offer great deals and can really help with budgeting. Buses are the cheapest way to get around Europe, but they also take the longest so sometimes it's best to pay a bit more to have smoother travel and spend more time at your destination. If you can, travel with one other person for safety reasons, but if you end up going someplace on your own make sure you do your research on the city/area before going and follow basic guidelines (ie- don't go out too late at night, book transportation so that you arrive during daylight, don't attract unwanted attention, avoid bad neighborhood, remove yourself from potentially dangerous situations, etc.).
What places would you advise future students to see and why?
So far on my trip, Barcelona and London have been my favorite cities outside of the scheduled (school) trips, but only time can tell because I still have more to see!
SOCIAL LIFE:
How did you meet students from your host country? 
We had an organized time to meet and interact with some of the students from the Czech Republic studying in the history department. They showed us around to some of their favorite pubs in Olomouc afterward.
How did you like to spend your free time and why?
Just like at home I based this off of my mood at the time. Some days I would go into town with other NSA students and other times I would stay in and catch up on the latest episode of my favorite show.
Is there anything you regret not doing more of in your free time? 
There are some pretty cool towns near Olomouc that make great day trips and cost little or nothing at all to visit and I wish I would have spent some of my free days exploring the surrounding area.
What opportunities for social, recreational and cultural events that the host university or program offered did you like best and why? 
I really enjoyed the erasmus programs. They formally organized a party for each country on Wednesdays, but there were also opportunities to meet and interact with erasmus students. All I had to do was join the Facebook group- there is almost always something going on and someone will post about it to invite everyone.
What piece of advice would you give to future students regarding their non-academic life while overseas?
Meet as many people as possible. Break out of your comfort zone when you're at erasmus events or when you take trips and stay in hostels. You never know who you'll meet and sometimes the people that you meet make up the best part of the trip. 
SCHOOL WORK:
How did your academic experience at Palacky differ from your US experiences concerning:
1) Relations with professors/classroom instruction. 
Relations with professors are about the same. Some simply lecture, others are more interactive. One custom that I noticed was that the professors expect questions at the end of their lectures at Palacky University, whereas in the U.S. professors are fine if there are no questions.
2) Grading. 
Grading is similar as well. You will take quizzes and tests, and you may write a few papers and the grades from those make up your final score.
3) Study habits. 
I find that I am spending less time studying here and more time learning from experience, one of the cornerstones of studying abroad.
4) Library. 
I have not used the library. Instead I study in my room and/or the union.
Also, what enabled/hindered your successful academic experience?
The most difficult thing on this trip is technology. Getting everything to always charge correctly and especially connecting to internet can sometimes be frustrating.
MONEY & COMMUNICATIONS:
How much money in US currency would you recommend students have at their disposal for their whole time overseas? 
This depends on what type of traveling you like to do. Grocery shopping prices in the Czech Republic are similar to what you can get in the states, if not cheaper. For a 4-day weekend of traveling I spent around $100 on food/drink, for a week I spent around $150. All in all, I think this trip could be done, comfortably (meaning you are able to go many places and don't need to be too skimpy with money) for $4,000-5,000 including your ticket over to Europe and back. 
How much money did you have in foreign currency when you left for the program and was it enough? 
Initially you will just need a couple hundred dollars worth of money. You can exchange money at Wells Fargo Main in Lincoln for free before you leave so that you have one less thing to worry about once you get to the Czech Republic.
How did you manage your money (credit cards, traveler's checks, bank accounts, etc)? 
I set up a travel checking account and just transferred money from other accounts as I needed it.
How and where did you access your money? 
The best exchange rate is from the ATM, so I simply pull money when I need it. Be mindful of how often you pull money as banks often charge each time you withdraw. My advice is to withdraw the maximum amount that your bank allows because the money can always be converted. Another tip is to use your card when you can as some places will only accept cash.
How much money did you spend on books, school supplies, food, entertainment, local transportation, travel, toiletries, airfare, laundry? 
In Olomouc, you will receive a tram pass and books as they are paid in your initial trip payment. School supplies, food, and toiletries are about the same cost in Olomouc as back in Nebraska. Airfare can range from $900-$1,300 depending on when you book it. My advice is to book your ticket at the beginning of January because prices will drop after the holiday season. For laundry there is a university washer that can be used for $2, but the clothes must me hang-dried. Another option is the laundromat, which is on the expensive side ($7), but is very convenient and you finish with dried clothes within an hour.
How did you communicate with the US? What would you recommend to future students (eg: calling card, Skype, set up email account, etc).
I have all apple products so I used iMessage and FaceTime a lot. All I did with my phone is switch it to airplane mode. This way I could not receive text messages or phone calls, but I could still connect to wifi.
MUST-DO-ACTIVITIES & OTHER TIPS:
1. When you are in Prague, climb up to the Tower on Petrin to get the best view of the city and then grab a specialty pivo (beer) at the monastery on the way back down the hill.
2. When you are in Krakow, you absolutely need to try the Pierogi- Russian is my favorite!

3. In Vienna find the outdoor lounge chairs and take a beat to sit and relax. They very well may have been my favorite thing about the city.

4. In Venice eat a lot of gelato. Tiramisu was my favorite flavor, but you can't really go wrong with any of them!

5. Take a weekend trip to Budapest. It's not far and is an inexpensive place to go.
6. Wherever you go, take your time. Remember that you will have better memories if you slow down and actually make them.


Here's some photos from Olomouc for good measure:
Stop by a restaurant named Torture and order their homemade chips- they're great!

One of my favorite cafe's in Olomouc is Cafe La Fee. The indoor part is great, but the deck is wonderful!

The top photo is of the history building, where all of my classes were held. The bottom photo is Neredin, the building that the dorms were in.

No comments:

Post a Comment